Week 2: I wonder…

While going through my notes, it is clear to me that the two most interesting points we discussed/touched on last week were the youth readiness skills, as highlighted by the UN, and the I wonder exercise we discussed about.

Upon doing some research on the readiness skills, I found the “Global Competence Model” which describes Internal Readiness Skills and External Readiness Skills.

Global Competence Model

Internal Readiness Skills start from the self, focusing on Self-Awareness, followed by attitudes which include Risk Taking, Open-Mindedness, and Attentiveness to Diversity.

External Readiness Skills include Global Awareness and Historical Perspective which may include hidden aspects that inform a person’s values and beliefs. This group also includes interpersonal skills that a person develops over their lifetime and reflects a person’s level of experience interacting with others. Intercultural Capability refers to the more pragmatic ability to apply cultural knowledge to personal interactions, to modify their behavior to show respect for different cultures, while Collaboration Across Cultures refers to the ability to work effectively in diverse teams.

More information at https://globallycompetent.com/global-competence-model/

I wonder, too…

The I wonder exercise in my opinion allows us to frame a problem/task in a way that really capitalizes on the creativity that young people (and old people!) are able to bring to the table when tackling global issues. When problems are seen through a less nuanced lense and with genuine curiosity and a healthy dose of naivety, sometimes a valuable discovery is made and/or insight is obtained.